Hi! I have put the blog on a temporary hiatus due to life stuff. However, I will be revamping the blog and hope to reopen it early 2014. Please watch our Facebook page for updates and for open scheduling.

Help wanted:

I am looking for reviewers and a blog admin to assist with scheduling and posting. If you are interested please email me at booksamour@gmail.com.

Thanks for stopping by and your patience.
Lia

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Some Like It In Handcuffs by Christine Warner


Why I Write Romance           

I actually was doing my daily blog round the other day and came across this question while reading another author’s interview:

Why do you write romance?  Why not another genre?

Such simple questions, but they stopped me in my reading tracks and I had to ponder the questions myself.

I started reading romance at a pretty young age.  My sister, and I, along with two neighbor girls came across a bag of Harlequin romances.  I don’t remember how, if they belonged to their mother, our mother, or we picked them up at a neighborhood garage sale, or maybe their grandmother or ours tossed ‘em our way.  That’s neither here nor there, the point is that summer we received a wrinkled, brown paper bag of books and we devoured them. 

We’d sit outside on the trampoline and read passages aloud to each other until the light faded from the sky.  We’d read them alone, on rainy days, before bed, in between swims in the pool.  That summer opened up a whole new world to me. 

I discovered The Happily Ever After and I was in LOVE!!!

I became an addict, a junkie to that tingly feeling in the pit of my stomach as I neared the end of the book.  All the conflict and challenges and questions answered.  I flipped the pages faster and faster until I finally understood why the hero did what he did, said what he said, or the moment I understood why the heroine took the blame or refused to speak up to justify something she said or did.  The situations were so emotional.  I had tears in my eyes several times, a lump in my throat, anger burning in my chest for the injustice suffered, the misunderstandings and the near misses of discovering love.

(Yep, I was a very emotional teenager…lol)

Then I’d rip through the pages, dying to see how they resolved their dilemmas and would reach that pivotal scene.  In the final chapter all was explained and a sigh of relief escaped.  That gooey shiver of happiness as the hero and heroine came together, confessed their love, and the world’s axis tilted to the correct angle. 

Sometimes that feeling stayed for hours, days, weeks…until another spine in a different book was broken and I got the chance to fall in love with a new adventure in romance.

I LOVE that happiness.  And I write romance because I want to share those feelings with readers.

Tell me…if you are an author is that why you write romance? And if you are reader, are the feelings I shared the same ones you have for reading romance? 



Some Like it in Handcuffs
by Christine Warner

Sunny Kennedy, the only female in a family of blue blood male detectives, is determined to prove testosterone isn’t the only qualification required to solve a cold case. Handcuffed while undercover then taken to the precinct by an attractive detective, her domineering family demands she work with Detective Judson Blackwolf, or she’s off the case. 

Judson Blackwolf thinks women in law enforcement should work behind the scenes. The prospect of working with his Captain’s sexy daughter doesn’t thrill him. He only agrees in hopes of solving the murder of his one time mentor’s daughter. Once the case is over, he’s moving to Montana to heal his wounds from the loss of his last partner.


Excerpt

“This isn’t how I wanted it between us.” Judson grabbed the neckline of her sweater, dragging her body to meet his with a solid thump. Sunny licked her lips in answer to the question in his eyes. He lowered his head to move his mouth over hers. 

Sunny closed her eyes, a small whimper escaping her lips. She didn’t want it like this either, but that wasn’t possible. Unable to resist her attraction she accepted it wasn’t an affair, or a long distance romance she craved, but for him to love her back. It was all or nothing for her. Her heart sank. She accepted this as their goodbye kiss.


With no thought to what was happening upstairs, Sunny rose up on her toes demanding more. Her lips pulsated against Judson’s. When his hand trembled against her cheek in a soft caress she lost touch with reality. 


“Judson.” Sunny’s weakened body drifted farther into Judson’s as his fingers glided down her arms, pulling them to her sides where their fingers intertwined. He forced them behind her before his tongue thrust into her mouth. 


Their bodies molded together, she heard her own heartbeat and his as well when he curved his fingers around her rear and squeezed. 


That’s when the click of the handcuffs against her wrist connected her to the handle of the locked cupboard.
“What the hell…Judson?” She looked up at him, her knees shook, her body still inflamed with fever. 


“Like I was saying, you wait here and I’ll go upstairs to check it out. Backup’s already been called, so you’re safe until your brothers arrive.” Judson winked before walking toward the steps to the third level. Once he reached them he turned toward her and smiled. “Gotcha,” he whispered with his notorious grin.

About Christine Warner

Christine Warner is living her dream in Michigan along with her husband, three children, one laptop and a much loved assortment of furry friends. Besides laughing and a good round of humor, she enjoys spending time with her family, cooking, reading, writing but no arithmetic. A confessed people watcher, she finds inspiration for her stories in everyday activities. She loves to read and write about strong heroes and determined, sometimes sassy, heroines. A girl gone wild, at least where social media is concerned, she enjoys meeting other avid readers and writers on Facebook, Twitter and her Website.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Lia! Thank you so much for having me on your blog. I always love visiting you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that excerpt. Great post as well. Tweeted.

    ReplyDelete