Hi! I have put the blog on a temporary hiatus due to life stuff. However, I will be revamping the blog and hope to reopen it early 2014. Please watch our Facebook page for updates and for open scheduling.

Help wanted:

I am looking for reviewers and a blog admin to assist with scheduling and posting. If you are interested please email me at booksamour@gmail.com.

Thanks for stopping by and your patience.
Lia

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Interview and giveaway with Alison Stuart


Welcome Alison! Please start off by telling us a little about yourself.
Hi Lia…thanks for having me J
I am an award winning Australian writer of “historicals with heart” with a passion for the seventeenth century and a determination to give readers good meaty plots, dashing heroes, strong heroines and a happy ever after.  In my non writing life, I am a lapsed lawyer who has worked in the military and fire service, which may explain a predisposition to soldier heroes (and a fascination with fire trucks).  I live with my own devilishly handsome hero and two needy cats and like nothing more than a stiff gin and tonic and a walk along the sea front of my home town for inspiration. 

Is SECRETS IN TIME a single title, or part of a series?
SECRETS IN TIME is a once off and my first venture into a novella length story. I’ve always wanted to write a time travel story and the length suited this story perfectly.

What were your inspirations for the story?
It began as an exercise for a writing group I belonged to many years ago. It sat in the cyber sock drawer until I came across it accidently more recently and it became SECRETS IN TIME. The actual inspiration comes from my passion for the English Civil War period. As a youngster I would go to sleep willing myself to go back in time (Why? I ask myself!) so really it is the reversal of my childhood fantasy – this time with a handsome and dashing cavalier coming forward in time.

Please share your setting for SECRETS IN TIME.  Have you ever lived or visited there? If so, what did you like most?   
SECRETS IN TIME is set in an imaginary village in Northamptonshire in the UK and is concerned with fictional events leading up to the very real life Battle of Naseby on June 14 1645. This was the last, decisive battle of the English Civil War and is a place I have visited on a couple of occasions. It is hard to imagine so much death and pain in such a peaceful setting these days.

When did the writing bug first bite?
As a child, although it really hit when I was a teenager. I wrote my stories (long after my light was supposed to be out), in shorthand notebooks-- which I still have somewhere. (note to self…seek and destroy those notebooks!)

Who are you favorite authors, book/series?
The most influential author in my life is probably that great YA historical author, Rosemary Sutcliff. Classical authors such as Daphne Du Maurier and Charlotte Bronte sit on my keeper shelves. My favourite English Civil War period writer is Pamela Belle and her Wintercombe series.

What is your most favorite childhood memory?
My father reading to me. Every Sunday afternoon he would read to us, books of his choosing, not ours. He introduced me Du Maurier’s The King’s General at the age of 8 (highly unsuitable!) which sparked my passion for the English Civil War.

Do you have any hobbies or special things you like to do in your spare time?
I’m a quilter and needleworker. Just wish I had spare time…

Boxers, brief or commando?
Boxers!

Favorite eye color?
Grey.

What's the strangest thing you've heard or seen?  
A motor cycle in Cambodia carrying a family of four with a large, very angry pig, strapped to the handlebars!


Secrets in Time
by Alison Stuart

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BLURB:

Can love endure across time?

When a seventeenth-century cavalier hurls himself over her garden wall, Doctor Jessica Shepherd is more angry than surprised. Although she ís no stranger to military re-enactors, there ís something different about Nathaniel Preston. If he ís to be believed, something…or someone…has sent him forward in time from the midst of a civil war to the quiet English countryside of the twentieth century.

With time working against them, Nathaniel has to convince Jessica why fate brought them together before he ís forced to return to his own era and certain death in battle.

Can the strength of love overcome all obstacles, even time itself?


EXCERPT:


“If you could lend me your horse, I would be grateful. It is a long ride home. You have my word that I will return it anon.”

“My horse? I don’t own a horse. Look, Nathaniel, you’ve lost a bit of blood, if you like I can give you a ride home.”

“But you said you had no horse?”

“In the car.” I could not help the exasperation that crept into my voice. His continuing delusion had really begun to concern me. “Nathaniel, look at me. What year do you think this is?”

“The year of our lord 1645.”

“1645?” I stared at him. “Nathaniel, it is 1995.”

He narrowed his eyes. “No, you jest.” He sank onto the kitchen chair, his eyes glassy.

“I do not jest. Now stay there. I’m going to ring my brother. Perhaps he can talk some sense into you.”

Keeping a wary eye on my visitor, I reached for the phone and carried it into the living room while I waited for Alan to pick up.

“Hey, Jess.” Alan greeted me cheerfully.

“Alan, are you busy?”

“I’m correcting papers, nothing I can’t put off. Is this important?”

“I have a man in my kitchen who thinks he is living in 1645,” I whispered.

“Sounds like a case for the psychs, not me.”

“Please come over, Alan. There is something about him...sorry I can’t explain--”

“Is he threatening you?” Alan’s tone was alarmed.

“No, not at all. He’s just a little...confused.”


AUTHOR Bio and Links:

Alison Stuart is an award winning Australian writer of historicals with heart.  Whether duelling with dashing cavaliers or waywards ghosts, her books provide a reader with a meaty plot and characters who have to strive against adversity, always with the promise of happiness together. Alison is a lapsed lawyer who has worked in the military and fire service, which may explain a predisposition to soldier heroes.  She lives with her own personal hero and two needy cats and likes nothing more than a stiff gin and tonic and a walk along the sea front of her home town.  She loves to hear from her readers and can be found at her website, facebook, twitter and Goodreads.

Find Alison on the Web

Website:  http://www.alisonstuart.com

Blog:        Ms.Stuart Requests…:  http://www.alisonstuart.blogspot.com

Facebook:  Alison Stuart- Writer https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alison-Stuart-Writer/177254485659744?fref=ts

Twitter:  @AlisonStuart14



GIVEAWAY!

Alison will be awarding ecopies of her two previously published books THE KING’S MAN and the award winning BY THE SWORD, which are set in the same period as this story, to a randomly drawn commenter during the tour




6 comments:

  1. Thanks, Sarah...it was a fun interview to do :-) Great questions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed this book :)

    http://www.teenaintoronto.com/2013/04/book-secrets-in-time-2013-alison-stuart.html

    ReplyDelete