Hi! I have put the blog on a temporary hiatus due to life stuff. However, I will be revamping the blog and hope to reopen it early 2014. Please watch our Facebook page for updates and for open scheduling.

Help wanted:

I am looking for reviewers and a blog admin to assist with scheduling and posting. If you are interested please email me at booksamour@gmail.com.

Thanks for stopping by and your patience.
Lia

Monday, February 25, 2013

Author interview with Collette Cameron


Welcome Collette Cameron !  Please start off by telling us a little about yourself.
I'll tell you some of the things I don't usually share, just to spice things up a bit. I loathe mushrooms and peas. . . ugh! I love just about anything pumpkin. In my high school hall of fame, I was listed as, "Most Studious."  Ugh again. I sing, got engaged after only two weeks (We'll be celebrating our 30th anniversary in April) and have never had a traffic ticket.  I love trivia, dachshunds, Disney animated movies, and I'm afraid of heights . . .  and spiders. Oh, and I’m an editor for a small online publishing house.

Is HIGHLANDER'S HOPE a single title, or part of a series?
I sold it as a single title, but it is truly part of my Blue Rose trilogy. I just finished the second book, "The Viscount's Vow, and I’ve been told I’ll be offered a contract by my publisher. We’ll see.

What were your inspirations for the story?
There was a single scene, the one where Ewan finds Yvette in his room at the Banbury Inn, which popped into my head and played out like I was watching a movie. I built the entire story around that scene. I'm somewhere between a plotter and a pantser. I had some basic ideas of things I knew I wanted to include in my story, but others developed as the story progressed.  A good friend of mine calls herself a linear pantser. I’ve decided that’s what I am too.

Please share your setting for HIGHLANDER'S HOPE. Have you ever lived or visited there? If so, what did you like most?
The first half of the story takes place in England, London first, and then the English countryside. The last half takes place in Scotland. I've been to England twice and adore London!  It's a fabulous, historical city. I loved walking and touring buildings that someone during the Regency era may have actually walked there.  

When did the writing bug first bite?
I always get asked this question and the truth is, it never really did before I started to write. I had a niggling thought creeping about in my brain for years about someday writing a book, but I didn't really know what that looked like. Even though I've been a romance reader for decades, (I started ready Barbara Cartland Romances when I was thirteen.) I never thought I'd write a romance.  It was after I started writing HIGHLANDER'S HOPE that I became addicted to writing.

Who are you favorite authors, book/series?
I don't have any favorites. I like so many it's just too hard to choose one or two.

What is your most favorite childhood memory?
My father is a retired State Police Game Warden. Once summer, he brought home a newborn fawn. I’m pretty sure there’s a law against that now.  His mother had been killed by a car.
We named him Alexander and cared for him that entire summer. We bottle fed him, and when he got old enough, we'd let him stay outside in the woods on the ranch. We would call him in at night, and he'd come running, just like a dog.  He was every bit as loving as a dog too. He'd put his hooves on my shoulders and lick my face. To this day, I have a soft spot for deer.

Do you have any hobbies or special things you like to do in your spare time?
I'm a certified interior decorator, so I enjoy decorating. I also enjoy gardening, bird watching, amateur photography, hiking, and trips to the beach. I'm from a small coastal town in Oregon, and the beach is in my blood. 

Boxers, brief or commando?
Boxers, and because I have a peculiar sense of humor, I like the funny ones. You know, the ones with faces or cartoons on them, or the holiday ones. Hubby has a pair that looks like Santa's suit, complete with bells. He won't wear them. . .

Favorite eye color?
I should say brown because my husbands are a lovely shade of mink, but there's just something about deep blue eyes. . . sigh.

What's the strangest thing you've heard or seen?  
When I was a kid, my dad took me to a place near Klamath Falls, Oregon, that had “Mare’s Eggs.” They’re actually an endangered form of algae (a Nostoc colony). Rounded, grayish-green gelatinous shapes, they range in size from a tiny pebble to bigger than a baseball, and they are hollow in the center. And, they’re edible. The Chinese eat one species for New Year’s celebrations and Peruvians think they are quite delicious too. They’ve been used for medicinal purposes too, but it seems they have a toxin that can quite literally melt your liver. Yikes!
 I think my real fascination with them was in the name though. Mare’s Eggs. Everyone knows mares don’t lay eggs. Can you imagine if they did? Think dinosaur.

One last bit of titillating information about Mare’s Eggs; loosely translated, Nostoc means “star snot.”  I’ll leave you with that visual image. 


Highlander's Hope Blurb:

Not a day has gone by that Ewan McTavish, the Viscount Sethwick, hasn't dreamed of the beauty he danced with two years ago. He's determined to win her heart and make her his own. Heiress, Yvette Stapleton, is certain of one thing; marriage is risky and, therefore, to be avoided. At first, she doesn't recognize the dangerously handsome man who rescues her from assailants on London's docks, but Lord Sethwick's passionate kisses soon have her reconsidering her cynical views on matrimony. On a mission to stop a War Office traitor, Ewan draws Yvette into deadly international intrigue. To protect her, he exploits Scottish law, declaring her his lawful wife—without benefit of a ceremony. Yvette is furious upon discovering the irregular marriage is legally binding, though she never said, "I do." Will Ewan's manipulation cost him her newfound love?



Highlander's Hope Excerpt - Carriage Scene 

Peeking at him from beneath her lashes, she reached up to straighten her bonnet. It hung askew off the side of her head, like a giant drooping peony. She shoved it back into place but the moment she removed her hand, it flopped over once more.

The stranger's unrestrained laughter filled the carriage.

“Oh, bother it all.” Yvette’s patience with both her rescuer and the silly bonnet were at an end. She had no choice but to remove the dratted thing to reaffix it. Several strands of hair tumbled to her shoulders when she removed the cap from her head. Suppressing a shriek of annoyance, she placed the hat beside her. She then set about securing the wayward curls. Pinning the last strand in place, her eyes met those of her companion.

Momentarily forgetting her unanswered questions, she stilled, as did the world around her. The air hung suspended in her lungs. Her eyes widened in disbelief, her stunned gaze riveted on his face. “You exist?” Her voice was husky with awe.

Raising an ebony eyebrow, a flicker of humor softened the nobleman’s features. “So it would appear.”

A voice, deep and dark, caressed Yvette’s heightened senses. She stared. Her gaze roved across his handsome features returning, as if compelled by some unseen force, to his eyes.

Those eyes. Fringed by thick lashes, the mesmerizing turquoise pools gazing back at her sent her senses reeling in recognition. Her mouth dropped open. No, it couldn’t be. “Am I dreaming?” Giving a quick shake of her head, she lowered her eyelids for a moment. Lud, but she was befuddled. "Who are you?


Collette Cameron Bio

A life-long Oregonian, Collette Cameron was born and raised in a small town along the northern Oregon coast. Today she makes her home in a rural community, 30 minutes west of Portland. Her Victorian farmhouse sits on a one-acre certified wildlife habit, interspersed with a plethora of gardens: English, rose, butterfly, rock, water, and of course, vegetable.

A voracious reader of romance since her teens, she even named her daughter after a heroine in her favorite romance novel. An enthusiast of times gone by, and anything related to romance, she writes Historical Romance, with a dash of inspiration, a pinch of humor, and a liberal portion of suspense.

Having dabbled in interior decorating in her youth, Collette returned to school, graduating summa cum laude from Oregon State University, and went on to obtain her Master's Degree in Teaching. She is member of Romance Writers of America, Rose City Romance Writers, The Beau Monde, and Love Faith and Hope, Inc., and a whole slew of other author/writer groups.

Some of Collette's favorite things include unique blends of coffees and teas, trivia, Cadbury Milk Chocolate, inspirational quotes, and scented candles. Her Christian faith, husband, three adult children, and five miniature dachshunds round out her life quite nicely! When she's not teaching or writing, she is a content and copy/line editor for an Ebook publisher, enjoys amateur photography, bird watching, gardening, interior decorating, rock-hunting, boating or fishing on the Columbia River, and reading of course.

To connect with Collette, please visit www.collettecameron.com/ or http://blueroseromanceblog./ She can be found on Facebook , Pinterest, Google+, Linkedin, and Twitter.


4 comments:

  1. I love reading these interviews because I always learn interesting new things about the author. I can see me scheduling Collette's time already. Interior decorator? Hmmm...that could definitely come in handy.:) Never heard of Mare's egg. Now I'll have to go looking.

    Congrats on 30 years of marriage. That is truly an achievement! As for eye color, I married my blue-eyed sweetheart. Fortunately, he loves brown eyes.

    Can't wait to read Highlander's Hope!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Maggie!
    I try to add something a bit different in each interview, just to keep things interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great interview. I'm meeting a lot of people who don't like mushrooms lately. I love them.

    Great excerpt, Collette. Congratulations on your release!! I tweeted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your release! Great cover!
    I'm a mushroom lover, too!
    Neecy

    ReplyDelete