Hi! I have put the blog on a temporary hiatus due to life stuff. However, I will be revamping the blog and hope to reopen it early 2014. Please watch our Facebook page for updates and for open scheduling.

Help wanted:

I am looking for reviewers and a blog admin to assist with scheduling and posting. If you are interested please email me at booksamour@gmail.com.

Thanks for stopping by and your patience.
Lia

Monday, January 28, 2013

Interview with Brenna Zinn



Welcome Brenna Zinn! Please start off by telling us a little about yourself.
Where to start?  I’m a coal miner’s daughter with a bigger than life imagination who grew up in Montana, Illinois, Georgia. After eloping with my Navy man in Gibraltar and living in Naval Station Rota, Spain for three years, I moved to Austin, Texas where I now live with the same Navy man and three humongous English Mastiffs.  I recently gave up my job of 20 years to stay at home and write full time.  I know, I know.  What was I thinking?? 

I love men with Scottish accents, televisions shows involving ghosts and hauntings, traveling to cool places around the globe, and drinking Sailor Jerry’s spiced rum and diet Coke.  I believe Sailor Jerry’s true identity is the younger, devilish brother of Capitan Morgan.  Oh, and I love dancing.  I used to win dance competitions in college for beer money.  I was a very popular girl in college ;)

I have an extremely low tolerance for stupid people and brussel sprouts.


Is When A Lady Meets A King a single title, or part of a series?
It’s a part of the Sassy Seven series, The Naughty Sleepover.  In all there are seven extremely sexy stories that take place in the Menger Hotel in San Antonio, Texas.  Each story is a standalone book, but they clearly belong together as a series.  Imagine hot cowboys, beautiful San Antonio, and sex scenes that scorch the page.  

What were your inspirations for the story?
I wanted to write a story where the characters where in their 40s, the hero was bigger than life like John Wayne, and the heroine is someone the readers can admire as well as relate to. I also wanted a story oozing with intrigue and mystery.  After several days of sweating through some plot ideas, I finally hit upon one that I not only loved, it seemed to speak to me.  My muse had decided to visit and stayed long enough to help me get the story on my computer. 
Please share your setting for When A Lady Meets A King. Have you ever lived or visited there? If so, what did you like most?   
As I worked in San Antonio for many years, I’ve had many opportunities to visit the Menger Hotel.  Let me tell you, they have the BEST lunch buffet in the city – bar none.  They also have a mushroom bisque soup that’s sooo good it will “make you want to slap yo mamma,” as my friend used to say.  The Menger is also renowned for the ghosts who haunt the elevators, the hallways, and some of the rooms.  Yes, I do know people who have had experiences with the ghosts.  Unfortunately one of those people isn’t me.

When did the writing bug first bite?
 I’ve been writing romance since the 5th grade, though at the time I didn’t really understand the story was a romance.  The book involved the princess of Toy Island that was captured by bad toys from a rival island.  A brave Teddy bear rescued her and they lived happily ever after.
 The thing is, I always have some kind of story rattling in my head and they all end up being romances – after you peel away the layers.  I’ve come to think most stories have a sprinkle of romance in them one way or another.  Heck, most television shows (except reality TV) has lines of romance running though them.  Romance is universal and damned near inescapable.  


Who are you favorite authors, book/series?
I’ve got so many, it almost doesn’t feel fair to mention just a few.  I will say that I started reading due to the amazing stories of Mary Stewart.  Her series on Merlin and King Author had me from the first chapter.  (The Crystal Cave, The Hollow Hills, The Last Enchantment.)  From there I discovered the world of sensual romance with Johanna Lindsey.  Warrior’s Woman is one of my favorite Johanna Lindsey novels. 

What is your most favorite childhood memory?
It’s an old memory to be sure.  I was maybe 5 and living in Colstrip, Montana, which is a very small coal mining town.  We lived across the street from a big park.  I have a very clear memory of waking on Christmas Eve and sitting up in bed to look out of my window that overlooked the park.  It was snowing big, heavy flakes and the entire view was white.  I think of that image every Christmas.

Do you have any hobbies or special things you like to do in your spear time?
I think I may be a little ADD because I work on many things in my spare time.  I need constant stimulation.  I garden, I sew, I research, I write, I restore furniture, I make candles, blah, blah, blah.  I try everything at least once.  If I like it, I do it again!

Boxers, brief or commando?
You know, when I first dated my husband, he was a total commando boy.  Now he wears long, tight undies that goes to about his mid-thigh.  He says he needs the longer underwear to accommodate his, ah…, package.  As for what I prefer?  I really don’t care.  I’m more concerned about the way a guy makes me feel special over what he’s wearing under his pants.

Favorite eye color?
I don’t have one.  Hubby’s eyes are brown.  My father’s eyes are a crystal blue that’s so clear they look like blue ice.  Scottish men have green eyes, right?  I love them all.

What's the strangest thing you've heard or seen?  
Excellent question!  I actually have seen something very strange.  While stationed in Rota, Spain, I was called up to the roof of my apartment building by another tenant to see something strange in the sky.  I went up and sure enough, something grey and shiny was hovering over the town.  It was there for about 20 minutes, just hanging out, before it took off in a flash.  I remember reading in the Stars and Stripes news paper (a military paper) that no one had indicated they were missing a weather balloon or that there was any planes in the area at the time.  I think I saw a real UFO.  How if I could only see a real ghost.  I could die a happy woman.


When A Lady Meets A King
A Naughty Sleepover
by Brenna Zinn

Lady Pembrook went to great lengths, traveling thousands of miles and assuming a false identity, to satisfy her fantasy­­ of a one night stand with a real Texas cowboy. But can she fulfill her dream of a naughty sexual encounter after discovering a mysterious stranger in dark sunglasses threatens to expose her scandalous behavior in America?

Though riding bulls and taming wild horses aren't the only risks Burton King has taken in a lifetime of working on a ranch, nothing scarred him deeper than falling for the wrong woman. When he finds a damsel in distress, will the oath he swore to never get involved with another woman keep him from finding the woman of his dreams?


Excerpt

Her English accent, both refined and seductive, lingered in his head like a favorite melody. Leaning in, he took her hand in his, noting the softness of her touch and the aroma of her perfume. Vanilla and warm brown sugar. She smelled like a fresh-baked cookie, perfect for eating. He stopped himself from licking his lips. “I’m Burton King. It’s my pleasure. Mind if I join you?” 

Before answering, she took a deep inhale and released it. In that brief moment her demeanor abruptly changed. Like a switch had been flipped somewhere deep inside her, the vulnerable lamb suddenly vanished.

“Absolutely Mr. King. My pleasure.” She removed her purse from the bar stool next to hers and patted the wood seat. “I hoped this wouldn’t stay empty for long.”

Once high pitched and riddled with fear, her voice had become low and steady, her trembling body calm. If he hadn’t had his eye on her from the moment she’d left the hotel lobby, he would have sworn the lady sitting at the bar was an entirely different woman.

Her shift from damsel-in-distress mode triggered an alarm in his head. Something about this situation seemed off. Just plain wrong. No doubt he should turn around and leave this pot of brewing trouble behind. Did he really want to take on someone else’s problems?

But now that he’d seen her up close—good Lord, the woman was beautiful—he couldn’t walk away. Budding lust and intrigue kept his feet cemented to the floor.

Why is this gorgeous woman here all alone?


About the Author

Equally at home camping in the mountains of Montana or shopping on the Champs-Elysees in Paris, my journey through life has taken me all over the United States, as well as many places throughout the world. Using my travel experience as a guide and peppering in interesting characters I’ve met along the way, I love nothing better than artfully weaving erotic tales of romance and leaving readers yearning for adventures of their own.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the great post :)
    The excerpt was great and I am off to check on Amazon for the book...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beckey! Let me know what you think. I love feedback.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks for the tweet.
      Very tweet of you.
      Groan.
      Yes, I know that was bad. Very, very bad.

      Delete