Hi! I have put the blog on a temporary hiatus due to life stuff. However, I will be revamping the blog and hope to reopen it early 2014. Please watch our Facebook page for updates and for open scheduling.

Help wanted:

I am looking for reviewers and a blog admin to assist with scheduling and posting. If you are interested please email me at booksamour@gmail.com.

Thanks for stopping by and your patience.
Lia

Friday, January 4, 2013

Cityglitter Blog Tour: Interview with Carla Caruso



Welcome Carla! Please start off by telling us a little about yourself. Hello, I’m an Australian-based writer (with Italian ancestry!). My background is in journalism, but writing novels has always been a little pipedream for me, which has finally come true. I’m married, a star-sign junkie, running fanatic, sometimes vegetarian – and have a cat with ‘tood called Luca.

Is Cityglitter a single title, or part of a series? Currently, it is single title, although I keep scribbling little notes in my pad about the possibility of doing a sequel. I’m thinking my gorgeous heroine, Christelle, who is half-fairy half-human, could next tackle the Big Apple – and find a whole new pack of fairies to deal with there. Oh, plus meet a clueless pixie to take over where her hapless younger sister left off!  

What were your inspirations for the story? The book is based in the big city of Sydney, Australia, where I worked for three years in the magazine world (now back in my smaller hometown of Adelaide). The idea for the story came about because I got to attend a ton of fabulous media parties through my work there and never felt so frumpy in my life! Night after night, manicured socialites and celebs would be on parade and I used to joke to my hubby that maybe they used magic to look so polished all the time. (Cityglitter from Destiny Romance being about a gorgeous fairy living a glam life in the big city, who does the one thing she promised herself she’d never do: fall in love with a human!) The fairies all look like Victoria’s Secret Angels – with actual wings. http://www.destinyromance.com/

Please share your setting for Cityglitter. Have you ever lived or visited there? If so, what did you like most?  Oops, I let this one out of the bag earlier – it’s based in glittering Sydney, aka the Emerald City, where I lived for three years. I would describe Sydney a little like Los Angeles in that it has lots of sunshine, cutting-edge fashion and celebrities. I particularly loved the beach culture!

When did the writing bug first bite? I always wanted to be a novelist, annoying my kindergarten teachers by dictating long, detailed stories to them. As a teen, I used to hand-write 100-page stories (for fun) in my school holidays. And Mum always kindly took me to the library to sate my bookworm tendencies. It just took me a while to realize my childhood dream – journalism seemed a more practical course

Who are you favorite authors, book/series? I love-love-love Sophie Kinsella, who is behind the Shopaholic series (and the resulting Confessions of a Shopaholic film starring Isla Fisher). I’m hanging out for her new book, Wedding Night. I’ll be one of the first in line! I also adore magazine-queen-turned-novelist Maggie Alderson, and have recently discovered some new debut authors who I’m loving: Nicola Doherty (behind The Out of Office Girl) and Lisa Walker (Liar Bird). Let’s just say I’m a romantic comedy junkie!

What is your most favorite childhood memory? It would probably be hanging out with all my cousins as a youngster. My dad is one of 10 siblings, so I have something like 40 cousins unbelievably! My grandpa used to have a market garden and I remember having family gatherings in their backyard and being scared silly by the ghost stories my boy cousins would tell.

Do you have any hobbies or special things you like to do in your spare time? As mentioned earlier, I’m a bit of a star-sign junkie and hope to incorporate that into the theme of a novel next! I love reading the online horoscopes of Anne Macnaughtan, Yasmin Boland, Anne-Elisabeth and Jonathan Cainer. My mum’s a little bit into Feng Shui and numerology, so I blame her bad influence haha.

Boxers, briefs or commando? Full briefs! The other options would be too uncomfy for me :)

Favorite eye color? Green. I always thought it would cool to have jade peepers! Though, I quite like the sounds of violet, too. I think Elizabeth Taylor’s pupils could be described like that.

What’s the strangest thing you’ve heard or seen? I don’t know if this is that strange, but when the Internet first came about, I was so surprised to Google my name and find others with the same moniker that I actually curiously emailed another ‘Carla Caruso’. I find out she lives in New York, is a yoga devotee and is actually pretty big as a jewelry designer. Weirdly, I also freelance for a jewelry magazine on occasion, have reported on an international jewelry fair in Italy four times, and once had a (very small) line of jewelry in a boutique. Maybe there’s more to a name than we realize?



Cityglitter
by Carla Caruso

Christelle is like any other 20-something living in Sydney, Australia – except for one huge secret. She enjoys cocktails with girlfriends, luxury brand launches, gossip and shopping. For an added touch of spice, there’s also the sizzling connection with her new boss, the gorgeous Jasper.

Then Christelle’s younger sister, the hapless and naïve Trixie Fifi Panache, arrives unannounced, and things begin to fall apart. Not only does Christelle have to deal with her sister’s exploits and embarrassing mistakes, but she also has to live with the fear that her escapades will reveal the truth: Christelle and Trixie are half fairy, half human, and hidden beneath their clothes are a pair of gorgeous wings. To make matters worse, Christelle has fallen for Jasper, but knows that taking the relationship any further threatens exposure. And no love could survive that, could it?

Cityglitter is a charming, magical romance that leaves in its wake a glitter of fairy dust. With inner-city fabulousness and sophistication, this fun celebration of love will add more than a touch of sparkle to your life.


Excerpt:

I look back at Mr Butterscotch Eyes, who looks a little bemused. Perhaps it’s my seven-second delay to his greeting. I think fast.

‘Hello again!’ I gush, like we’re long-lost friends, not virtual strangers.

Without thinking, I stand up on tippy-toe, leaning forward, intending to air kiss his cheek. Somehow, like a paperclip drawn to a magnet, I’m pulled askew, my lips brushing his.

The effect on my body is like switching on an electrical grid, as every pore starts to buzz. His lips, so soft, moist, kissable; his musky scent, spinning a web around me; my body, pinging like a microwave with his strong physique mere centimetres away.

Suddenly, though, the sensual warmth, the heavenly breath, has been pried away and my lips are cold, bare. I flutter my eyelids open, honing in on his gaze, detecting a flicker of something in those liquid gold-like orbs before it dies.

He clears his throat, playing with a tortoiseshell cufflink. ‘That’s certainly not the kind of greeting I’m used to – especially from someone I barely know.’



About the Author:

Carla Caruso grew up amid a boisterous extended Italian family in Australia – yet somehow managed to become a bookworm...

Carla always wanted to be a novelist, annoying the kindergarten teachers by dictating long, detailed stories to them. It just took her a while to realize her childhood dream - journalism seemed a more practical course. Her media career has included stints as a newspaper and magazine journalist, government PR and fashion stylist. These days, she works as a freelance journalist and copywriter. She began seriously writing fiction three years ago when she went freelance full-time.

The romance genre appeals as she is a sucker for rom-coms (especially if Channing Tatum is in the mix) and likes to think her Italian ancestry means she lives with passion. Hobbies include watching trashy TV shows, fashion, astrology and running.

1 comment:

  1. Hі there! I just ωanted to asκ
    if you ever have аny problems wіth hacκers?
    My last blog (wordpress) wаs hacκed and ӏ еnԁed up losing months οf hаrd wоrk duе to
    no back up. Do уou have any solutions to stop hаckers?
    Also see my site :: home laser hair

    ReplyDelete