Hi! I have put the blog on a temporary hiatus due to life stuff. However, I will be revamping the blog and hope to reopen it early 2014. Please watch our Facebook page for updates and for open scheduling.

Help wanted:

I am looking for reviewers and a blog admin to assist with scheduling and posting. If you are interested please email me at booksamour@gmail.com.

Thanks for stopping by and your patience.
Lia

Monday, December 10, 2012

Interview and Giveaway with Ann Montclair


Welcome Ann Montclair! Please start off by telling us a little about yourself.

I write contemporary and historical fiction and work as an English professor at a small, rural community college. I was born in Los Angeles, California, where my parents and grown daughter now reside. I currently live in the Finger Lakes region of New York with hubs, son, and a pile of dogs and cats. I love listening to live music, hiking, cycling, cooking, and gardening. I hate dieting but spend a lot of time ruminating on the topic. My biggest wish is that each of my readers will be inspired to believe in and find their own happily-ever-after, no matter their fears and insecurities. My motto is Love triumphs! I have three published contemporary romance novels: The Billionaire’s Bauble (Soul Mate Publishing 2011), One Wet Summer (Musa Publishing 2012), and Good Things Come in Tall Packages (Musa Publishing 2012). Lady in Deed (Musa Publishing 2012) is my first historical romance. Lady is the Law, another Tudor historical romance, is forthcoming 2013.


Is Lady in Deed a single title, or part of a series?

It’s a single title, though my next contracted book (Lady is the Law) is also an historical romance set in England, but at an earlier time.


What were your inspirations for Lady in Deed?
Philippa Gregory’s books inspired my newest title.  She wrote about each of Henry VII’s wives, and I was enthralled with the politics of the time period. I also loved Showtime’s The Tudors.  Jonathan Rhys Meyers is so, so, so sexy.

Please share your setting for Lady in Deed. Have you ever lived or visited there? If so, what did you like most?   

The story is set in 1533 Tudor England, during the height of Henry VII’s reformist movement. I have never been to the English countryside, where my novel is set, but my next goal is to visit a small northern shire before 2013 passes. England is the longest lived monarchy in the world, and so it is a country steeped in tradition. I adore old things, ancient things, and England feels like history. It’s in the very air one breathes.


When did the writing bug first bite?

I’ve written poems and stories since I was a child. I always wanted to write novels and live in a little cabin in the woods, and those dreams are happily fulfilled.


Who are you favorite authors, book/series? 

My favorite authors are a disparate lot. I teach literature, so I love literary writers. My first love was and remains Shakespeare. I read everything Sandra Brown, Nora Roberts, Philippa Gregory, Harlan Coben, and Lee Child write. My favorite series would be Diana Gabaldon’s Outlander books, though I have great respect for Rowling’s Harry Potter and Nora Roberts’s Born in… series.

What is your most favorite childhood memory? 

My favorite childhood memory is swinging on the tree swing in my grandpa’s back yard while he was nearby watering his garden or feeding his chickens. My grandparents provided me a safe, loving model that I adhere to now. Cooking dinner, planting flowers, laughing at I Love Lucy on the television—we were a happy family.


Do you have any hobbies or special things you like to do in your spear time?  

Going to concerts is a favorite activity.  I love to dance, and dining out is always a pleasure.  I’m a fun girl. I’ll do just about anything if hubs says, “Let’s go…”


Boxers, brief or commando?  Commando

Favorite eye color? Brown


What's the strangest thing you've heard or seen?  

Once, when my girlfriend and I were ten miles into a remote and exhausting hike, we heard a cougar’s low, warning growl from just behind a redwood tree not ten feet away.  I almost ran, but my hiking partner shouted: “Yell, and stand still with your arms over your head.  Look big!”  I tell you, terrified does not come close to describing my emotions.



Lady in Deed blurb:

Piety or passion... What's a lady to do?

Lady Mary Rutherford believed she would live her entire life as a nun. But when King Henry VIII’s reformist movement makes practicing religion a dangerous proposition, Mary is forced to begin a new life with a family she doesn’t know. Worse, she must become lady of the manor, a role for which she feels sorely unprepared.

After a decade of service to his king, Lord Trenton Stanley returns home to find his estate in ruins, his fortune depleted, and his doddering father drooling over Mary—a woman Trent fears has been installed to replace his mother. Trent strives to rebuild his life, but his desire for Mary becomes a serious distraction he can’t seem to ignore.

Though Mary is anxious to prove she’s a worthy lady, she’s tempted by the rakish Trent into deeds most unladylike…


~~ Excerpt ~~ 

Lord Trenton Stanley sat down in his coach, but unfortunately it was
upon a woman.
Or maybe not unfortunately.
This woman was one of Britain’s finest. She struggled to sit up, and he
shifted his weight to accommodate her. Immediately he noticed her beauty.
Mounds of sunshine coloured curls piled atop her head, and large, round, sky
blue eyes momentarily dizzied him. Her unlikely presence made Trenton’s
loins respond lustily.
He could not believe his good fortune — a doxy from James. That old
badger. How was he to know Trent had sworn off whores? Months had passed
since his last dalliance, and while his time soldiering for King Henry provided
some sport, he believed his affianced deserved more than a man who slept with
sluts. He thought to give up such debauchery and become what his mother
and father intended — a man of moral rectitude, a gentleman of honour.
But then to be presented with this fine specimen of comely femininity.
She looked delicious. Her avid eyes snapped from feature to feature, boldly
studying his face in a most disconcerting way. She openly invited him with
red ripe lips that pouted seductively. He didn’t hesitate.
She groaned as his mouth crushed her lips in a forceful kiss. And she fought,
too. She clasped and pushed at the muscles under his wool coat and linen shirt.
Her hands moved frantically like a hummingbird at spring nectar. She batted
his shoulders and pummeled his chest, all while his tongue plundered her
mouth, and his hands roved over her fragrant flesh. Her breath clotted when
he whispered scandalous intentions in her ear. His overextended manhood
pressed hard against her thigh, and she looked as if to swoon when his kisses
moved from her lips to her throat to the tops of her breasts.
She beat upon his back with gloved fists. “No, Lord Stanley. Cease! Please.”
Did she expect coin before the transaction was complete? Reluctantly, he
pulled away.
She was magnificent in her disarray. He stared into the sensuous face,
noting her delicate nose and dimpled chin. No pox marred her shimmering
flesh, and her skin, soft as mink, was flawless. In fact, she appeared uncommonly
clean for one in her trade. Did he smell Frankincense, the kind priests
wafted at High Mass? His frank perusal rendered her speechless, and he liked
the quiet type. Too bad, she looked at him as if he were part monster — or
was it part saviour?
She was certainly no ordinary whore.

Contacts and Buy Links:
Lady in Deed


Good Things Come in Tall Packages

One Wet Summer
The Billionaire’s Bauble



~~ GIVEAWAY ~~

Ann is giving away an electronic copy of one of her backlist: winner's choice. Please leave your email address in your comments. 

4 comments:

  1. Great excerpt. Nothing like a serious misunderstanding to start things off! I want to know how it all unfolds from here :)
    kitcat76(at)hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great excerpt. Nothing like a serious misunderstanding to start things off! I want to know how it all unfolds from here :)

    parisfan_ca@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing the excerpt Seems like it'll be an interesting read

    BeckeyWhiteATgmailDOTcom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice excerpt.

    bn100candg(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete