Hi! I have put the blog on a temporary hiatus due to life stuff. However, I will be revamping the blog and hope to reopen it early 2014. Please watch our Facebook page for updates and for open scheduling.

Help wanted:

I am looking for reviewers and a blog admin to assist with scheduling and posting. If you are interested please email me at booksamour@gmail.com.

Thanks for stopping by and your patience.
Lia

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Author Interview and Giveaway with Cassandra Dean


Welcome, Cassandra! Please start off by telling us a little about yourself.
Certainly! I primarily write historical erotic romance, with plans to expand into Steampunk and Paranormal (fingers and toes, anyway). I’m Australian, currently suffering from terrible hayfever, and just carved my first pumpkin for Halloween*.

My third book, ROUGH DIAMOND, has just been published by Decadent Publishing and I am just super dooper proud about this!

* Halloween is not that big a deal in Australia, unfortunately :(

Is ROUGH DIAMOND a single title, or part of a series?
ROUGH DIAMOND is part of Decadent Publishing’s Western Escape, a series of stories set in and around the fictional town of Freewill, Wyoming. My contribution is a historical tale, focusing on the years just after the town was formed. The old west, in fact. You know what, here’s a blurb:

Owner of the Diamond Saloon and Theater, Alice Reynolds is astounded when a fancy Englishman offers to buy her saloon. She won’t be selling her saloon to anyone, let alone a man with a pretty, empty-headed grin…but then, she reckons that grin just might be a lie, and a man of intelligence and cunning resides beneath.

Rupert Llewellyn has another purpose for offering to buy the pretty widow’s saloon—the coal buried deep in land she owns. However, he never banked on her knowing eyes making him weak at the knees, or how his deception would burn upon his soul.

Each determined to outwit the other, they tantalize and tease until passion explodes. But can their desire bridge the lies told and trust broken?

I’ve also just signed a contract for a sequel to ROUGH DIAMOND! FOOL’S GOLD is the tale of secondary characters Pearl La Monte and Ethan Garrett, and is set on Christmas Eve. It should be out sometime during the Yuletide season, so check my website regularly for updates!

What were your inspirations for the story?
ROUGH DIAMOND was inspired by my editor. On my last book, TEACH ME, she suggested I write for Western Escape. I wasn’t too convinced – I’d never really heard Westerns in my head, so was a bit anxious about writing one. However, I went away, had a bit of a think, and came up with ROUGH DIAMOND. The rest is history!

When did the writing bug first bite?
I think I’ve always been a writer. I’ve made up stories all my life, and learning to read and write just cemented it.

I only seriously considered writing as a career in my early 20s. I never thought I could be an author – that’s for way more cooler people than me – but I joined a writing group, received amazing support from my critique partner, Lucy Clark, and now I’m a published author. Yay!

Who are you favorite authors, book/series?
Oh my, I have so many! I guess my very favourite author is Loretta Chase. I HEART Lord of Scoundrels with a passion, and am so admiring of her skill. I’m currently enjoying the Hollows series by Kim Harrison mightily, and am really looking forward to the final book in Meljean Brook’s Guardian series (Guardian Demon, Michael’s book! Yay!)

I’m also a massive fan of Joss Whedon, creator of Buffy, the Vampire Slayer, Firefly and director of The Avengers. I just think he is the bestest writer ever, and I find him so very inspiring.

Do you have any hobbies or special things you like to do in your spear time?
I REALLY like to eat. Like, a lot. And I LOVE to cook. There’s nothing better than organising a dinner party with friends, cooking up a storm and then enjoying each others’ company with a cheeky red and delicious food.
Also, I have about a billion cookbooks. Yep. A BILLION. It is a sickness.

Boxers, brief or commando?
Oh man. I think each have their own special, special place ;p

Favorite eye color?
Over and over again, I seem to give my characters blue eyes. I guess blue eyes can be very arresting, and light eyes with dark lashes are amazingly striking. I’m sure it has nothing whatsoever to do with the fact that I have blue eyes...

What's the strangest thing you've heard or seen?  
Oh. Wow. Um... Geez, this is hard!

I guess a strange thing that happened was a man stopped me in the street and asked if he could sing me a song he’d written. Randomly. For no reason. Flustered, I said no and kept walking. I really wish I had’ve said yes now!

Thanks so much for having me, I’ve had a blast!
Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Goodreads ~ Tumblr ~ Pintrest ~ Amazon.com





Owner of the Diamond Saloon and Theater, Alice Reynolds is astounded when a fancy Englishman offers to buy her saloon. She won’t be selling her saloon to  anyone, let alone a man with a pretty, empty-headed grin…but then, she reckons that grin just might be a lie, and a man of intelligence and cunning resides beneath.

Rupert Llewellyn has another purpose for offering to buy the pretty widow’s saloon—the coal buried deep in land she owns. However, he never banked on her knowing eyes making him weak at the knees, or how his deception would burn upon his soul.

Each determined to outwit the other, they tantalize and tease until passion explodes. But can their desire bridge the lies told and trust broken?

Available from:



~ Excerpt ~

Lifting the glass, Alice studied its contents. “There is nothing quite like the enjoyment you get from a good whiskey. There’s the look and color of it, and the way it burns in the light.”

“It’s the same color as your eyes,” Llewellyn breathed, his own wide and empty of thought.

A smile tugged at the corner of her mouth. That’s right. Fool me into thinking there’s not an ounce of calculation to your words. “Is it? Mighty kind of you to notice.”

A happy grin was her response.

Well now, she was surely going to enjoy this. Setting her own half-smile, she tilted her glass, watching as the whiskey caught the light of the candle. “Have you ever noticed the feel of glass? It’s smooth against your fingers, and though the whiskey burns you, the glass is cool. It seems strange, doesn’t it? That such fire could come from something so cool.”

Intensely aware of his gaze upon her, she brought the glass to rest on her bottom lip. “You lift the glass to your lips, and all that coolness rests upon your flesh. The scent of the whiskey hits you, sweet and fiery. Your mouth waters, and you can’t wait to have it inside you. Slowly, so slowly, you tip the glass, teasing yourself as long moments in want of its taste stretch unbearably.”

He no longer wore a smile. Dark eyes watched her as strong fingers dug into the glass before him.

A prickle washed over her skin, her heart a steady beat in her chest. With hushed voice, she continued. “Liquid slides down your throat. The flavor explodes inside you, a glorious rush of sensation that overwhelms and consumes. You curl your tongue, enjoying the lingering sensation in every part of your mouth. Then, you look at the bottle.” Finally, she met his gaze direct. No subterfuge. No tease. “And you know you can do it again.”


Also, a contest#! Comment below and leave your email address  to win a USD$5.00 Amazon.com Gift Card and ROUGH DIAMOND swag – a signed postcard and magnet! Good luck!

~ About the Author ~

Cassandra grew up daydreaming, inventing fantastical worlds and marvelous adventures. Once she learned to read (First phrase – To the Beach. True story), she was never without a book, reading of other people’s fantastical worlds and marvelous adventures.

Fairy tales, Famous Fives, fantasies and fancies; horror stories, gumshoe detectives, science fiction; Cassandra read it all. Then she discovered Romance and a true passion was born.

So, once upon a time, after making a slight detour into the world of finance, Cassandra tried her hand at writing. After a brief foray into horror, she couldn’t discount her true passion. She started to write Romance and fell head over heels.

The love affair exists to this very day.

Cassandra lives in Adelaide, South Australia.

=====================================================================
# The small print: Comment before midnight on 14/11/2012 (Australian Central Daylight Time) to be entered to win one (1) USD$5.00 Amazon.com Gift Card,  one (1) signed ROUGH DIAMOND postcard and one (1) ROUGH DIAMOND magnet. Winner will be selected via random.org, with winner’s name posted on this blog by 15/11/2012. Cassandra will also contact the winner by e-mail; the winner will be required to reply with their postal address so Cassandra can send the prize to them.
Only one entry per ISP address. Entrants must be over 18 years of age. By entering, you agree Cassandra can use your name when announcing the winner if you should win. If potential prize winner forfeits or does not claim the prize, prize will be re-awarded, in Sponsor’s sole discretion. All prizes will be awarded. International entries are welcome. No purchase necessary to enter. Odds of winning depend on number of entries received. Void where prohibited by law.

10 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for having me on Books Amour, Lia! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cassandra, I enjoyed the excerpt, the book sounds great. By the way I lived in NSW and still have family there.

    Kit3247(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ingeborg,
      That's awesome you lived in NSW! I've visited that state a few times, but live in SA myself :D
      Good luck!

      Delete
  3. Great excerpt!! I can't imagine a man stopping someone to have them sing a song. I wouldn't have known what to do...and I can't sing.
    Mel
    bournmelissa at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mel,
      Yeah, I totally didn't know what to do! A nervous 'no' and a walking on was my contribution to the tale ;p
      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  4. Lovely interview. Congratulations on your release.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want more! Would love to read your book, Cassandra. Cheers on your book release.

    monica.calangian@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so chuffed to read that, Monica! Best of luck, and thanks for stopping by :D

      Delete
  6. Okay, peeps, the time has come - annoucing the winner of the giveaway! Congratulations...

    Ingeborg!

    Ingeborg has won a USD$5.00 Amazon.com gift card, a signed ROUGH DIAMOND postcard and a ROUGH DIAMOND magnet.

    Congrats again to Ingeborg and thank you everyone who entered :D

    ReplyDelete